Friday, February 19, 2010

Giving comes from the heart....


When the horrific tragedy happened in Haiti, I wanted help in more ways than $one$, but wasn't sure what it would end up being.

One day, while I was twittering ... one my lovely customers I follow, Beki, was tweeting about a necklace she designed and was making a $10 donation from each sale. I clicked on the necklace link and noticed it included a freshwater pearl and that she had (at that time) sold more than 230!! WOW!!! I tweeted to her asking if she needed more pearls and that I'd be so happy to help by donating ivory pearls for the cause.

Here's the rest of the story....

I copied this is from Beki's blog today 2/09/10:

"When I decided to sell the Blessed necklaces for Haiti, it was a split second decision. (I'm good at those...)
I hadn't even thought about cost of the product involved in making the orders.

The orders began pouring in.
I contacted a few companies hoping someone would match our donation. No one did.
Our story was submitted to local tv stations, but they didn't pick up on it.
We were a bit disappointed by the lack of support from local people and big bloggers who had no interest in helping the cause grow.
But obviously God knows what he's doing.
There was huge support overseas, particularly Australia, and across the US. Just not locally.

And out of the blue one day I got a note on twitter from Beth that said, "Can I donate pearls?"
Oh my goodness! YES! What a huge blessing that was!!
She donated hundreds of gorgeous pearls and didn't expect anything in return.

So thank you Beth for listening to God's little whisper to you!
It allowed us to donate over US $3,000.00 to help Haiti and we wouldn't have been able to do it without you."

image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt it was the least I could do to help Beki in her fund raising efforts, as she has been a long-time customer of mine. But more importantly, to me it was a simple act of giving and giving back that would hopefully help in the aide for those suffering so badly so far away.
~Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment